youtube converting in Linux?

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:48:25 UTC 2011

Probably the best solution for now is youtube-dl. It should be available
from your distro of choice. If not, you can find it at
http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl
You can then use mplayer to dump the audio stream directly from the
file, or convert it to the format you like using ffmpeg. I have a bit
more complicated way of doing things that involves getting their new
WebM videos and pulling out the Vorbis audio using mkvextract, but that
involves picking through the HTML5 source and doing some creative
searching and replacing to get the correct link. At this point,
youtube-dl is still the better option for heavy use. I'm also in contact
with the developer of Youtube-dl to try to get it downloading the new
format so that you will always get good audio without conversion if it's
available, and soon all their videos will be available in this new WebM
format, which will make audio extraction extremely easy.
~Kyle