How do I start an xinetd service using chkconfig?

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Jun 30 20:58:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:00:41AM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I have some braille notetakers that I want to use as terminals on my
> local network, but they don't handle ssh properly. chkconfig lists
> krb5telnet under xinetd services, but it is off. How do i turn it on?

Generally, "chkconfig krb5telnet on".  There are several circumstances
why it might not work as expected, but try that first (and confirm
it with "chkconfig --list krb5telnet".

Otherwise, if manually editing is required, edit /etc/xinetd.d/krb5telnet,
and change the "disable = yes" line.

You may or may not also need to poke the xinetd daemon (with a HUP signal)
to pick up the change.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York