Kermit Project Ending

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun May 15 00:40:58 UTC 2011

Rasmussen, Lloyd <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>I don't think I ever used the Kermit file transfer protocol and system, but I know that it used to be a big deal for some of you in the past.  Go to
>  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
>to read about how Columbia University is ending support and open-sourcing as much of it as they can.  It's the end of yet another era.

So it is. I read the announcement a few weeks ago and felt rather nostalgic.

I used to run MS-DOS Kermit at home so that I could connect, via modem, to a
UNIX machine. File transfers were accomplished by running C-Kermit on the UNIX
host.

The last time I used Kermit was about 5 years ago; in that case it was
C-Kermit on one of my Linux systems to access the serial port of a router that
I had just bought to run my ADSL connection.