Is there a command to clear memory?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Nov 3 16:02:06 UTC 2011

Hello John,

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:17:18 -0500
"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:

> I have two systems running Centos. Some applications seem to have memory
> leaks. The amount of free lmemory decreases when the systems run for
> long periods. Is there a way to reclaim leaked memory without rebooting?

First of all, note that the amount of free memory reported by top/htop/etc. is
not too reliable. If you still want to reclaim leaked memory, then this leaked
memory is owned by certain processes[Leaks]. You can find out which processes
are consuming a lot of memory using htop - http://htop.sourceforge.net/ - and
kill them (either from withing htop using the "F9" key or using the "kill",
or "pkill" commands from the command-line.).

Best regards,

	Shlomi Fish

[Leaks] - unless there's a bug in the Linux kernel, which is quite unlikely.