Weird Situation with Vinux

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Oct 17 23:41:58 UTC 2011

On 10/17/11 16:11, RiverWind wrote:
> The files in question were "rar" and "zip" archives, so how
> would this syntax work?

To find all .zip and .rar files on your hard-drive, use

  find $HOME -iname '*.rar' -o -iname '*.zip' 2>/dev/null | less

or

  find / -iname '*.rar' -o -iname '*.zip' 2>/dev/null | less

This starts the search in either your $HOME directory or the
top-level directory ("/").  It then looks for files that are
either *.rar or ("-o") *.zip files.  Using just "-name" instead
of "-iname" would find ".zip" but not ".ZIP" which is sometimes
an issue if the source uppercases filenames/extensions, so by
using "-iname", it makes the search case-insensitive.

While Hart suggested using "locate", I've had enough times that
the locate DB wasn't updated that I usually just use "find" which
doesn't require a database to be up-to-date.  It's not as fast,
but gives me real-time results.

-tim