Checksum program for checking files

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Jul 1 13:46:00 UTC 2012

On 07/01/12 08:21, Christian wrote:
> What command should I use in Linux if Iwant to check the checksum
> of a file? I have an MD5 value here and I just want to make sure
> that it matches the original size.

You can use "md5sum" (usually part of most distros' base install):

  bash$ md5sum my_file.txt

which should return the checksum.  There's also a "sha1sum" which
will return the sha1 hash (cryptographically more secure as there
are some weaknesses with MD5).

I don't know of any counterpart in stock Windows, but I suspect that
you can either download a stand-alone "md5sum.exe", or perhaps get
it as part of the Cygwin install.

-tim