programmable keyboards for Linux

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Jun 14 16:03:51 UTC 2012

(fellow panix-ian:)

Although key re-mapping in software is not difficult (as another
post on this thread has helpfully explained), the Northgate
keyboards themselves are unique.  I've used them for over 20 years,
and keep a few extra as spares.

High-end features include a full-metal backplate (instead of plastic),
high-end Alps switches (clicky), molded-in key legends (instead of
decals), n-key rollover, etc.

The last time I checked, used Northgates can be found on ebay,
as well as their direct descendants, the "Avant" keyboard line.
Also, the website northgate-keyboard-repair.com not only repairs
and refurbishes old keyboards, but also has a nice selection for sale.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York