boot issues

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Tue May 22 20:32:50 UTC 2012

Uh-oh. Never mind "fsck" (yet). Your system can't even find "/dev/sda4"
(that is one of the "ERROR:" messages reported) to begin with.

The possible causes for this condition are all bad (sorry).  I realize this
is slow-going, but the next incremental step is to see what your partition
table looks like.  At that command prompt, try whichever of these two commands
produces partition information as output:

   fdisk -l /dev/sda
   /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

When you created your partitions (sda3 through sda6), did you write down the
partition information? If your partition table is messed up, it may be
very difficult to recover the table without that information.