linux and floppy drive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Oct 5 09:45:35 UTC 2012

OK, that still doesn't answer my questions.  Do you have /dev/fd0 on your
machine?  Did you install fdutils and see if it has a probe?  Does the dmesg
output say anything about a floppy drive?  Does it let you mount known good
disks?  It's highly likely that the disk you tried is old and won't format
for whatever reason.  I've had brand new disks do similar things.  I think
it's from sitting in a drawer too long.  What about formatting in DOS?  I
see that fdutils has a command to make floppy devices if they don't exist.
I don't know if udev handles /dev/fd0 or not, but that could be part of the
problem.  Just as a guess, it sounds like either your disk or drive are bad,
but it's hard to tell from only a couple formatting attempts.