hard drive replacement questions

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Sep 21 10:26:51 UTC 2012

It sounds like a Western Digital 60 GB drive, in which case no wonder why it
developed bad sectors.  That's probably a fairly old drive.  About four
years is when they develop problems.  Yes, I'm sure it's IDE.  I might be
able to give you an old IDE drive, but you can probably still find them on
EBay and possibly Amazon.com.  Any IDE drives around here aren't for
notebooks and run at 7200 RPM instead of the usual 5400 RPM that most
notebooks use, but if you're in the US and can't find any other IDE drives
elsewhere, write me off list and we can work out something.  I can't
guarantee how long my IDE drives will last, but something is better than
nothing.  I would want you to pay the postage, but I won't charge for the
drive.  I think I might have seen an IDE drive on Amazon, but I wasn't
looking.  You can also try the various surplus sites around.