Three questions about yasr

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Apr 19 03:51:59 UTC 2013

pj at pjb.com.au writes:

> Greetings.  I hope this is the right place to ask;
> I don't think there is a separate yasr mailing list.
>
> Three questions:
>
> * Can yasr be configured
>   to speak characters as they are typed at the command-line ?

Yes.  Go into the options dialog with ctrl-alt-o.  There should be a key
echo option in there somewhere.

> * Is there some alternative to xterm
>   that generates separate codes for the keypad keys,
>   so that yasr could be configured with a speakup-like keyboard UI ?

Not that I know of.

> * Can yasr be configured to use espeak, rather than eflite ?

Yes.  Have a look at your yasr.conf.
There is an espeak speech server for emacspeak, and you can use that.
Alternatively, yasr can be configured to use speech-dispatcher, as long
as your speech-dispatcher is using tcp connections.

-- Chris