Can I make grub beep?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Mar 3 02:09:21 UTC 2013

On March  2, 2013, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I am setting up a machine that will dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 and
> Windows 7. Can I make grub beep when it is time to press the key to
> chose which OS should boot?

You should be able to add (or uncomment by removing the leading "#") a
line like

  GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

in /etc/default/grub followed by running "update-grub" as root (or
via sudo).  Those numbers can be expanded to play a tune (the first
number is the tempo where 60 is a 1-second base, 120 is a half-second
base; followed by pairs of frequency-in-hertz and the duration).  If
you want to get crazy, some folks have done the Mario Brothers tune
as the boot beep

http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/8275/grub2-set-super-mario-as-startup-tune

Hope it gives you hours of fun. (grins)

-tim