just how much can you do with?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Mar 3 14:48:35 UTC 2013

I totally understand where you're coming from.  You didn't say where you're
located.  I'm probably not in your area, but I might be willing to help if I
can.  It sounds like the best thing for you to do is find a local LUG,
explain your situation and ask for a volunteer to help.  I know of someone
who got very good results that way and was able to use Linux after having
training from a LUG member.  I've been tossing around the idea of a Linux
tutorial in audio, but it sounds like that isn't what you want either.  I
don't know what else to suggest, but by all means write me off list if you
want.  I would be glad to help if I can, regardless of the financial issues.
  I certainly agree that you shouldn't pay for something which won't help
you.  I wasn't aware of the Apple training.  Just the fact that you're
posting here is a good sign.  It's time to take the next step on the path of
learning what Linux can do for you.

Again, I totally understand sticking with DOS.  The only reason why I quit
using Windows 98 is because my drive crashed, but I still miss plain old
DOS.  That's why I have dosemu on my Linux system and still use my ancient
DOS file viewer.  I still miss the dial-up days of the BBS with my DOS comm
program.  Yes, there are telnet BBSs, but they aren't the same.  If DOS
really works for you and does everything you need, maybe you should stay
with it and learn Linux in your free time.  Someone here had a good idea
when they said to install Linux on an extra machine and just try things.  I
did that and it was a great help.