just how much can you do with?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 3 19:42:59 UTC 2013

My problem with orca and iceweasel is that the arro keys don't work. When I'm listening to a document in iceweasel, I can go from line to line with the arrow keys for a while and then at some point they don't work to continue down the document. Continuing to press the cursor keys just rereads the same text as if I was at the end of the document.

So I figured maybe you're not supposed to navigate a document with the cursor keys. That alone seems kind of lame. But I googled for tutorials on how to navigate a document with orca and came up empty.

Lets not get into a screen reader religious war here. I'm not trying to trash orca. I'm trying to explain why my experiment with switching to linux full time failed. You will have to trust that I put a reasonable effort into trying orca. I just decided there were far too many glitches for it to be practical.

I don't know if you want to bother showing me that I'm wrong. I am willing to listen though.