and now the keystroke questions?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Mar 4 19:47:00 UTC 2013

On March  4, 2013, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> key_sysrq = speech_kill

The "SysRq" button on a regular keyboard is usually in a
cluster off to the right of F-12, above the 6-pack of
home/end/page-up/page-down/ins/del.  It usually is on the
same key as either "Print Screen" or "Break", near "Pause"
and "Scroll Lock".  It's way out in the keyboard equivalent
of Siberia.

On laptops, it's a bit hit-or-miss.  Usually you have to
combine with some special "Fn" (function) key to get it.

Based on the key sequence you list, it appears that it
doesn't need to be combined with the Speakup key.

> Now, I understand that the idea here is to hold down the
> speakup key, insert on the number padd, and the letter o.
> That is not the issue.  what I am having a hard time
> picturing is how one can manage this with both keys on the
> same side of the keyboard without very large hands and
> long fingers.

years of piano lessons? (grins)

I've never understood the desire to use <insert> as the key
to access the screen-reader's bank of commands.  I think
Jaws did this too.  I'd much prefer something like replacing
the behavior of Caps Lock since it's a pretty useless key
anyways (IMHO).

> Am I understanding the key combination correctly in the
> first place? holding down the insert key and typing the
> letter o, in the example above?  If so, is there a way to
> reassign these keys?

Yes, there's a somewhat geeky tutorial here

http://leb.net/pub/blinux/speakup/mirror.speakup_home/keymap-tutorial

where they remap the screen-reader key to AltGr (the Alt key
to the right of the spacebar) which might be less painful
than the 0/insert key.

-tim