a more simple question?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Mar 5 02:47:38 UTC 2013

That is exactly what I hope I will not need to do.
although I feared that might be needful.
I have 6 or more DVD images of the entire debian squeeze structure.  None
of which got used because someone else  in America put  some of debian on
a hard drive and mailed it to me.
I have no idea fully what is here, and again not finding the in person
training have no real way of discovering without risking damaging the
install already here.
It is funny, since Paul brought up the 63 k packages in debian.
I asked on the Debian discussion list about installing the entire thing,
so I could in theory examine the say 20 media players included, or
discover programs I might not know exist that might be useful.
I was told that no no one really uses all of it.  In fact even on the
speak up list Samuel would say, you do not need more than the first couple of
images.
What I do not understand though is why?
Others here have talked of the complexities.  I am going to find that
article about Linux and its limitations in the consumer market,  mostly
because there is so much of it.
Such to my mind is why more and more you find the watered down GUI efforts
that may be less accessible.  People trying to reduce the expansive to
manageable levels.
Please understand, I applaud how versatile the structure is.  But if it
does not translate into  swift and efficient mastering what is the point?
Paul's comment about Dos hobbyist made me laugh, because the same can be
said for Linux...but more of them...with different ideas and different
goals etc.

I looked at Professor Tim's tutorial on key mapping and was reminded why I
want a human in person thank you very much.

I am very serious that there are things I know can only be done well in
Linux, Lillypond for example which I very much want to use professionally.
Audacity is another one, possible Hindenburg Journalist if there is a
Linux port of it by now.
But I recall asking about doing a task on the debian list only to find
that it took four    program to accomplish what I can manage with one
elsewhere.
It is like someone writing a program to serve as half a hand clap.  A left
hand program, but you have to use another program for the right hand and a
third to make them clap together lol.

i will not be dumping
shellworld for stand alone Linux  though, no need.
And if I have to start over meaning the network is not found, then I will
be waiting to find real in person wisdom for sure.
Thanks,
Karen