some bees nest stirring, was just how much can you do with?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Mar 5 14:39:59 UTC 2013

Also, I forgot to mention that I don't think DOS works very well with
broadband, or at least I never got it to work.  Even if you find a packet
driver for your network card and actually get the Lynx port to work, you'll
be limited to fairly slow download speeds just due to the fact that DOS has
memory limitations and is not multitasking.  A multitasking OS can dedicate
a process just to downloading and has a lot better memory management.  Where
this applies to you is getting back to things like YouTube, where you really
can't use a graphical browser in DOS and would need to download the video
locally.  Also, since the packet driver itself takes memory and Lynx uses
quite a bit of memory, not to mention your screen reader needing a good
chunk, you'll rapidly lock up your system just due to the 640 KB limitation.
  You can load some things in upper memory and some things run in protected
mode, but TSRs don't as I understand it and the amount of upper memory is
also limited due to DOS limitations.  Taking the youtube-dl script, it
requires Python.  I think there might be an ancient version of Python for
DOS, but it's probably too old to work, and again you're back to running out
of memory as any modern interpreter will take a lot.

As a final note, if you ever get a modern machine with a plug and play
network card, DOS won't work with it because it won't have a static IRQ.