Just an intro.

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 20:19:37 UTC 2013

VMware Player is free, as in it doesn't cost you anything, and you can
get it from VMware.

True about updating the BIOS, but I guess I haven't had to do that in
the two years I've owned my laptop, I do have my laptop set up to dual
boot between Windows and Linux, so I can always boot into Windows if I
need to update the BIOS. Like I said, I haven't had to boot directly
into Windows on the bare metal since the first weekend I bought this
laptop over two years ago.

On 03/24/2013 04:39 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
> Interesting.  I know VMWare is non-free, so it isn't available in
> Debian.  I don't have X on any of my machines, so Orca currently isn't
> an option.  I have a Debian unstable and experimental install, but I
> also get a lot of errors and couldn't get speech with Gnome, so I gave
> up on it.  I'll have to start over with a new install one of these
> days.  My main desktop doesn't have hardware virtualization, so Windows
> would be very slow in a VM.  My server has KVM and supports hardware
> virtualization, but I never bothered to set up a Windows VM because it's
> primarily a server and I usually don't access it from the console.  I
> almost always access it with ssh and I don't think I could use Windows
> with speech over an ssh connection.  I definitely want to spend several
> days in Gnome learning Orca, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.  By the way,
> there is something you can't do in a Windows VM.  That is installing
> BIOS updates.  Almost all of them require Windows to flash your BIOS
> firmware.  Obviously, a VM won't work for that.
>
> On 3/23/2013 8:16 AM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
>> My set up is a bit different. Currently I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop
>> system, and I bring Windows up in a virtual machine as necessary. I use
>> VMware Player since it's GUI is accessible with Orca. This way, I
>> don't have
>> to reboot to switch between Windows and Linux. I run Linux as my host OS
>> since that's the OS I spend most of my time in. I used to do it the other
>> way, but once I got comfortable enough with Linux, I switched them
>> around.
>> Note, that my desktop system is set up to dual boot between Windows and
>> Ubuntu, but I haven't booted it into Windows since that first weekend
>> I got
>> it two years ago. I haven't found there's anything I need to do in
>> Windows I
>> can't do in a virtual machine.
>>
>> I also use VMware Player to run newer versions of Ubuntu in a virtual
>> machine as well. This gives me a chance to check things out before
>> installing them as my host OS.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail