Speed test for internet.

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Mar 25 17:45:14 UTC 2013

On March 25, 2013, Anders Holmberg wrote:
> What program do you use for testing the internet speed on a linux
> machine? I guess there are a bunch  of programs out there.

I'm sure there's a better way, but I usually use "youtube-dl" to
download a video from YouTube in one shell, while using "iftop" to
watch the network I/O usage.  As long as all the other devices on my
network are quiet and not hogging bandwidth, I've found it to be a
pretty accurate measure of my network speed.

-tim