a *very* odd question especially for me. Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Jul 30 19:44:38 UTC 2015

With the bash shell, at least, use single-quotes (unshifted double-quote
key on US keyboards) to prevent processing anything inside a
single-quoted string (except for another single quote). All of your
examples here are more easily handled that way. In general,
there's no restriction on mixing single-quoted strings and
double-quoted strings (bash will still do substitutions in the latter).

echo 'Hello!' 'Hello!!' 'Hello!?' 'my userid is'" $LOGNAME today."

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York