debian from ethernet to wifi

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat Sep 12 02:27:11 UTC 2015

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I have a command line installation of debian on a laptop that's supposed to
> have the hardware to do wifi.  Right now, I don't yet know what additional
> software to install so this computer can talk to the wifi network and log
> on.  archlinux has madwifi and a large section on wifi installation on its
> installguide file but that's not in the debian repository so for now I have
> no clue.  I do have a wifi adapter antenna I will have to use with a tower
> system but don't know if this wil also be needed to run the laptop.

Here are a few  you could try: (from dpkg -l | grep firmware)

firmware-iwlwifi                       0.43                                   all          Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
firmware-linux-free                    3.3                                    all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
firmware-linux-nonfree                 0.43                                   all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
firmware-realtek                       0.43                                   all          Binary firmware for Realtek wired and wireless network adapters

--
Joel Roth