Re: [Cluster-devel] DLM thoughts - multi threaded recvd

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:01:45PM +0000, Patrick Caulfield wrote:

> One of the things that Andrew Morton commented on when taking the DLM
> was that that there is a single dlm_recvd process (and sendd too)
> processing incoming requests and it could become a bottleneck on large
> systems.

Yes, dlm_recvd does quite a bit of work per message, I could see a backlog
as a real possibility.  Whether there are very dire effects of that I'm
not sure.

> So, I've been thinking how to make this scale a little better and have
> come up with several things.
>
> 1. How do we decide how many threads to start?

I think we just pick a default number that will work well for most use
cases, probably something like 2, and then allow it to be configured.  Or,
create one or two threads per lockspace.