Re: [Cluster-devel] [RFC] Killing ccs for good

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 09:33 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
Hi everybody,

a few months ago David tickled me with the idea of killing ccs, so I started
poking around for fun here and there and I think that I am at a point where
we can start looking at the work it has been done so far.

What does killing ccs buy us?

- remove of another daemon from the stack with everything that comes with it
  (less code to handle, less open ports on the network, less stuff to
synchronize, etc.)
- the option to design a new more useful API.
- add your reason here.

I created a git branch at git.fugedabout.it sandbox to work on this project:

http://git.fugedabout.it/?p=people/fabbione/cluster-noccs.git;a=shortlog;h=noccs

You want to remember that this is a test/private branch and it gets rebased once
in a while (breaking the classic git pull) and it is on a sandbox == *absolutely
no guarantee it will exists in forever*

So far we have:

- removed completely ccs/ from the tree.
- implemented a small libcman API that:
  (high level)
  - reads random cluster.conf files.
  - loads them.
  - query them.
  (low level)
  - handle config conversion from buf to conf and viceversa.
  - download/upload the config from/to cman aisexec.
- implemented the basic bits in cman/aisexec.
- converted all services to use the new API (except rgmanager - see below)

The libcman API is not final yet. There might be changes related to the way in
which we upload/download config. The API is missing a bunch of ccs_*
functionalities that would be seen as regression if missing (even tho i doubt
there are that many users out there).

Some of the "hidden" features of ccs are the ability to create the configuration files through command line scripting.  You could at least create a cluster and add nodes, although doesn't provide the ability to do everything the cluster.conf file.  A command line interface to the cluster configuration that covers all aspects of the cluster.conf file would be needed before we can remove ccs from the system.  One of the things missing from the ccs_tool are adding rgmanager services, am sure we are missing other features as well.

Kevin