Re: [Cluster-devel] spectator setting in cluster.conf

David Teigland wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:25:07AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>> <clusternode name="node1" nodeid="1" votes="1">
>>  <spectator/>
>> </clusternode>
>>
>> seems to be the sanest one and the query would look like:
>
> agree

Ok I will prepare a cman test patch based on this sintax.

>> I have a test patch for it if the assumption is that:
>>
>> - spectator is more important than votes (spectator will override votes
>> settings)
>> - spectator setting cannot be changed by anything other than the cluster.conf
>> (read below)
>
> great
>
>>> In each case, the existence of the lower-level setting would override the
>>> effect of the abstract spectator setting.
>> What kind of lower-level settings are you thinking about? env vars?
>
> A "ro" or "rw" (or "nospectator"?) option in /etc/fstab would override the
> addition of "spectator" to the mount options implied by <spectator/>.

This is part of gfs_controld/gfs*mount.

> We'd add a variable to /etc/sysconfig/cman that would tell the init script
> to run fence_tool join.  If this was set, it would override the skipping
> of that step implied by <spectator/>.

sounds reasonable..

> An explicit votes= setting for a node would override the 0 votes implied
> by <spectator/>.

So ok. I need to understand you better because I think what I wrote before is in
contradiction with this override.

In my patch spectator overrides votes="" no matter if they are specified or not.

Here you say that spectator overrides automatic setting of votes="" when
votes="" is not specified in the config. So in my head this implies two config
changes to set a node to spectator. Remove the votes="" entry (if any and IME is
quite common in the configs) and add spectator.

I think it makes more sense (to me) to override votes="" in full when spectator
is set. One config change, one flag and it's done. Override could be done via
env vars that can be set the same way as for "fence_tool join" in
etc/sysconfig/cman.

Make sense?