[Cluster-devel] spectator setting in cluster.conf

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 18:15:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:58:32PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > An explicit votes= setting for a node would override the 0 votes implied
> > by <spectator/>.
>
> So ok. I need to understand you better because I think what I wrote
> before is in contradiction with this override.
>
> In my patch spectator overrides votes="" no matter if they are specified
> or not.
>
> Here you say that spectator overrides automatic setting of votes="" when
> votes="" is not specified in the config. So in my head this implies two
> config changes to set a node to spectator. Remove the votes="" entry (if
> any and IME is quite common in the configs) and add spectator.
>
> I think it makes more sense (to me) to override votes="" in full when
> spectator is set.

If no votes are specified, the default is 1.  If no votes are specified
and <spectator/> exists, then the default is 0.  If you want to override
either of these defaults, then you include votes="N".  A specified value
must always override a default value.

If an existing cluster.conf has <clusternode ... votes="1">, the votes
setting is obviously extraneous.  And making this node a full spectator
would require either:

- changing to an explicit votes="0" and adding <spectator/>, or
- removing the explicit votes setting altogether and adding <spectator/>

It needs to be possible to have a spectator node with 1 vote (or more),
and if you're saying that this config:

  <clusternode name="node1" nodeid="1" votes="1">
    <spectator/>
  </clusternode>

should *not* work to do that, then it's madness :-)

Dave