Re: [Cluster-devel] [RFC] Killing ccs for good

Kevin Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 09:33 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>> a few months ago David tickled me with the idea of killing ccs, so I started
>> poking around for fun here and there and I think that I am at a point where
>> we can start looking at the work it has been done so far.
>> What does killing ccs buy us?
>> - remove of another daemon from the stack with everything that comes with it
>>   (less code to handle, less open ports on the network, less stuff to
>> synchronize, etc.)
>> - the option to design a new more useful API.
>> - add your reason here.
>> I created a git branch at git.fugedabout.it sandbox to work on this project:
>> http://git.fugedabout.it/?p=people/fabbione/cluster-noccs.git;a=shortlog;h=noccs
>> You want to remember that this is a test/private branch and it gets rebased once
>> in a while (breaking the classic git pull) and it is on a sandbox == *absolutely
>> no guarantee it will exists in forever*
>> So far we have:
>> - removed completely ccs/ from the tree.
>> - implemented a small libcman API that:
>>   (high level)
>>   - reads random cluster.conf files.
>>   - loads them.
>>   - query them.
>>   (low level)
>>   - handle config conversion from buf to conf and viceversa.
>>   - download/upload the config from/to cman aisexec.
>> - implemented the basic bits in cman/aisexec.
>> - converted all services to use the new API (except rgmanager - see below)
>> The libcman API is not final yet. There might be changes related to the way in
>> which we upload/download config. The API is missing a bunch of ccs_*
>> functionalities that would be seen as regression if missing (even tho i doubt
>> there are that many users out there).
> Some of the "hidden" features of ccs are the ability to create the
> configuration files through command line scripting.  You could at least
> create a cluster and add nodes, although doesn't provide the ability to
> do everything the cluster.conf file.  A command line interface to the
> cluster configuration that covers all aspects of the cluster.conf file
> would be needed before we can remove ccs from the system.  One of the
> things missing from the ccs_tool are adding rgmanager services, am sure
> we are missing other features as well.

Actually the bit of ccs_tool reads and writes the XML file directly and will
need very minimal porting. The only ccs API it uses is to notify ccsd that the
config file has changed.

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street,
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 ITE, UK.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903