[Cluster-devel] cluster-2.03.00

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 16:13:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 01:56:12PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, David Teigland wrote:
>
> >A new source tarball of cluster code has been released: cluster-2.03.00
> >This has been taken from the STABLE2 branch in the cluster git tree.  It
> >is compatible with the current stable release of openais (0.80.3), and the
> >current stable release of the kernel (2.6.24).
> >
> > ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cluster/releases/cluster-2.03.00.tar.gz
> >

> Hi David,
>
> I think I either misunderstood the versioning system or I missed something
> along the way.
>
> My understanding was that STABLE2 release would have had version 2.02.xx
> where xx is incremental per release and a stable SONAME set to 2.2.
>
> Snapshots from master would have taken 2.99.xx and kept an unstable API
> set for commodity to 2.9.
>
> I really don't think we should change the SONAME unless there is a need
> for it.

I never had a clear plan for when we'd increment the middle number vs when
we'd increment the last number; we've always incremented the middle number
in the handful of past releases.  I've also never understood how .so
naming should be done.  Should .so numbers even be associated with the
cluster release numbers?  What does the release number really "mean"; what
is it useful for?  Similar question for .so numbers, what do they mean,
when should they change, when shouldn't they change?  Since you have a far
better understanding in this area than I do (and you're the one who
actually implements it :-), could you define the rules for us for how this
all works?  I don't have any preferences in the matter; I'm open to
whatever you come up with.

Dave