Re: [Cluster-devel] Some questions to Fabio...

Hi Marc,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration | Westermann GmbH ] wrote:

Hello Fabio,

Is it possible to add an "--without_all" option to deactivate all
subdirs an cherrypick the wanted one with e.g. "--with-cman"?

I currently build the separate packages with "make -C subdir".

But the configure way would cleaner to build individual packages IMO.

It is possible (you are welcome to submit a patch) but i don't really see the use case at all here.

I am building Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora packages from the same source and still able to split the resulting binaries into different binary packages with the advantage that all the stack is updated from one source, all syncronized, less stuff to maintain and tweak etc..

Can you explain me better, if i overlooked at something?

In addition a "--version=x.y.z" option to override the upstream version
string would be cool for packagers to append things to the upstream
version after e.g. adding fixes from git to there package before an
following upstream release.

This is already there... --release_version="x.y.z" and it is treated as string so you can do whatever you want with it.

Maybe this could also be useful for the redhat/fedora packagers...

Rarely. Instead of changing the upstream release, you should really use the packaging version and changelogs to express those changes.

For example: $(upstream)-$(distroversion).$(gitversion)

would turn into (example):

2.03.03-1.gitXXXXX

this is usually the best way (and you can notice that most distro's agree on this versioning schema) to express all the info you need.

Cheers