[Cluster-devel] git private branches guidelines

Hi guys,

in a an attempt to improve the visibility of changes, some of us agreed to use git branches to share code in an easier way directly on sourceware.

The full man page on how to handle remote branches is in "git pull --help"

Here is a super short summary of what you need to know.

create and push changes from a local branch to a remote branch:

git push ssh://sources.redhat.com/git/cluster.git \
 origin localbranchname:refs/heads/remotebranchname

delete a remote branch:

git push ssh://sources.redhat.com/git/cluster.git \
 origin :remotebranchname

be _EXTREMELY_ careful when you remove a branch. To my knowledge there is no way to revert a delete and you can delete any branches by mistake (stable2, rhel....).

2 things need to happen before we will use them:

- we need to disable private branches commit messages to cluster-devel to
avoid an excess of noise (David is already looking at this).

- we need to agree on branch naming.

My suggestion for branch naming is fairly simple:

$ircnickname_$reason

where $reason can be fixbz123456 or newlogsys or cleanup or... basically what the branch is about in one word.

this way we can avoid clashing and declare "ownership" of branches.

Please try to be sensible and remove unused branches once you are done.