[Cluster-devel] [RFC] Configuring logging system for master

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 15:06:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Lon Hohberger wrote:

>> Pros: it's elegant to see the configuration all in one place. Move away
>> from subsystem keys to global ones. If the subsystem is an openais plugin,
>> openais executive will do all the parsing for us with no code changes.
>>
>> Cons: the association between subystem and config is not immediate. Users
>> need to remember mappings (CMAN == cman, CCS = ccs, etc.) that are not
>> 1:1. There is no finegraned tuning for logging level.

>> Pros: association is immediate between config and subsystem. 3 systems
>> already use it.
>
>> Cons: it's not centralized.
>
> I maintain at least most of those 3.  I agree that it's better from a
> user-experience point of view (daemon X logs HERE), but it's also
> fundamentally different from how liblogsys works, and doesn't easily
> allow for sub-subsystem configuration.
>
> For example, openais has several subsystems which (I think) can be
> configured independently, but are all wrapped up in to one daemon.
> Modeling this with the model rgmanager/qdiskd/etc. use is difficult.
>
> I am having difficulty forming a clear opinion.

So thinking for the future where we might have all our daemons switched
into an openais set of plugins, Christine solution is for sure the best.

My only real main concern is the name mapping: CMAN vs cman etc. that
might be addressed by just using a lower2upper case and let the user use
normal subsystem names.

Switching ccs is of course trivial since we have no real release yet out
there that is supported.

qdisk/rgmanager will need to have a compatibility layer.

Fabio