Re: [Cluster-devel] logsys in fenced

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 06:19:00PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> >. Leave log_debug() unchanged,
>
> The only change is that it uses logsys to print instead fprintf to stderr.
> Like Christine already pointed out, the change to logsys is to have log
> output the same across the whole system. No exceptions. Debug is no
> different from that,

I'm saying it is different.  My debugging capabilities are completely
separate from logging.  You're trying to redefine them for me, and I'm
declining.

> and with logsys you can set debug logs at runtime
> instead of having to do manual things.

Sorry, that's not what I want.

> > syslog/logsys are about logging to files.
>
> this is an assumption. logsys allows you to log to file, syslog and stderr
> according to what you need.

That's fine for the log_error statements, not for debugging statements.

> What is wrong with collecting debugging info in a standard way?

For now, my only interest in logsys is as a replacement for syslog.  Once
that works, I'll consider changes to the debug system.

> and what's the gain to keep around a macro that does nothing vs calling
> directly log_printf?

See my other mail, and you're venturing into coding style preferences that
are not relevant to logsys.

> >. Finally, one gripe with logsys itself.  Here's syslog initialization:
> >

> Discuss this with Steven.

Yes, I'll be studying the gory logsys details in an effort to propose some
more concrete api suggestions.