Re: [Cluster-devel] logsys in fenced

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, David Teigland wrote:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 06:19:00PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
. Leave log_debug() unchanged,

The only change is that it uses logsys to print instead fprintf to stderr.
Like Christine already pointed out, the change to logsys is to have log
output the same across the whole system. No exceptions. Debug is no
different from that,

I'm saying it is different.  My debugging capabilities are completely
separate from logging.  You're trying to redefine them for me, and I'm
declining.

and with logsys you can set debug logs at runtime
instead of having to do manual things.

Sorry, that's not what I want.

Our stack is absolutely impossible to debug as it is. There is a different debugging method and system for every single piece of code in the stack. It is a nightmare for people that wants to gather debugging output for us and send us logs.

Your way:

- learn every single debugging options for every single subsystem and command and maybe you will be able to find the data we need to help you because they are spreaded across logging files, syslogs and maybe stderr.

My way:

- add debug=on on the logging system. tar /var/log/cluster. done.

While I respect that your idea of debugging is different, can you at least see the benefits for a one line change in a macro?

syslog/logsys are about logging to files.

this is an assumption. logsys allows you to log to file, syslog and stderr
according to what you need.

That's fine for the log_error statements, not for debugging statements.

What is wrong with collecting debugging info in a standard way?

For now, my only interest in logsys is as a replacement for syslog.  Once
that works, I'll consider changes to the debug system.

It works already. We have been fixing bugs in logsys at a constant rate before starting the transition.