Re: [Cluster-devel] STABLE2 cluster branch

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 07:13 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, David Teigland wrote:
>
> > I've created a new STABLE2 branch from master in the new cluster.git.
>
> thanks for this work...
>
> > The point of STABLE2 is:
> >
> >  - build/run with the current stable release of openais, (now 0.80.3)
>
> I think i would really like to be able to detect this at build time. I
> know as a project we don't usually add #ifdef version > 1.0 kind of things
> but some distributions already have openais 0.82 around and a downgrade to
> follow the stable2 branch could be complex.
>
> I don't see creating another branch is the right solution as it will
> involve the extra overhead for it.
>
> > I think we're in good shape already for the kernel, but some work is
> > needed for compatibility with openais 0.80.3.
>
> Is anybody actually working on this?

I believe the answer is no but I am not sure if Dave or Chrissie are
working on this effort.

I continue to maintain and work on the stable branch of openais
(whitetank 0.80.3), but I don't know of the efforts Dave is talking
about or even what was branched to create stable2.  I assume it is the
current trunk of the gfs userland tree.  In this case, the current
trunk(stable2) is meant to work against the trunk of openais.

_No_ new features are going into whitetank at all so whatever is in
stable 2 must be modified to work with the whitetank branch.

The "trunk" of openais/corosync will work with the trunk of the git
repo.  This is the only effort underway now involving openais.

I __am not creating new branches__ of openais to work specifically with
stable 2 or backporting any feature additions that are currently in
trunk.  The only porting that will take place is forward ports of bug
fixes in the whitetank branch that are not in the trunk.

Finally whitetank is frozen to feature additions that are not critical
to user requirements.  Only bug fixes go into whitetank.  Our full
commit policy WRT various branches can be found here:

http://www.openais.org/doku.php?id=dev:commit_policy

Regards
-steve