[Cluster-devel] STABLE2 cluster branch

Fabio M. Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 1 16:31:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Steven Dake wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 07:13 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, David Teigland wrote:
>>
>>> I've created a new STABLE2 branch from master in the new cluster.git.
>>
>> thanks for this work...
>>
>>> The point of STABLE2 is:
>>>
>>>  - build/run with the current stable release of openais, (now 0.80.3)
>>
>> I think i would really like to be able to detect this at build time. I
>> know as a project we don't usually add #ifdef version > 1.0 kind of things
>> but some distributions already have openais 0.82 around and a downgrade to
>> follow the stable2 branch could be complex.
>>
>> I don't see creating another branch is the right solution as it will
>> involve the extra overhead for it.
>>
>>> I think we're in good shape already for the kernel, but some work is
>>> needed for compatibility with openais 0.80.3.
>>
>> Is anybody actually working on this?
>>

> I believe the answer is no but I am not sure if Dave or Chrissie are
> working on this effort.
>
> I continue to maintain and work on the stable branch of openais
> (whitetank 0.80.3), but I don't know of the efforts Dave is talking
> about or even what was branched to create stable2.

> I assume it is the
> current trunk of the gfs userland tree.  In this case, the current
> trunk(stable2) is meant to work against the trunk of openais.

STABLE2 was branched from trunk with the idea in mind to revert the
minimal amount of changes in the cluster stack to work with openais
whitetank.

> _No_ new features are going into whitetank at all so whatever is in
> stable 2 must be modified to work with the whitetank branch.

we already know this. nobody is asking you to change anything here. It's
the branch in cluster that needs to change.

> The "trunk" of openais/corosync will work with the trunk of the git
> repo.  This is the only effort underway now involving openais.

nothing new here either.

> I __am not creating new branches__ of openais to work specifically with
> stable 2 or backporting any feature additions that are currently in
> trunk.  The only porting that will take place is forward ports of bug
> fixes in the whitetank branch that are not in the trunk.

I think you misunderstood completely my email. Nobody is asking you to
change anything in openais to handle the stable2 branch.

The original plan for the STABLE2 branch is to work with openais whitetank
stable branch.

What i did ask was to change this original plan to make it so that STABLE2
branch can work with both whitetank and openais trunk by detecting the
openais version at build time.

> Finally whitetank is frozen to feature additions that are not critical
> to user requirements.  Only bug fixes go into whitetank.  Our full
> commit policy WRT various branches can be found here:
>
> http://www.openais.org/doku.php?id=dev:commit_policy

nothing new here either..

Fabio