[Cluster-devel] Re: [Pacemaker] [RFC] Splitting cluster.git into separate projects/trees

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 13:05, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:06, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto redhat com>
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

Top-posting...

#1 is what the current "situation" evolved from so I think its pretty
clear that despite the best of intentions, it doesn't work out (far
too easy for cross-dependancies to develop).

#2 - I share chrissie's feelings on this one ;-)

#3 - Thats got my vote - basically what we did with Pacemaker.

The biggest question here is do you want old versions of the split out
code to be buildable?

I am not 100% sure I understand what you mean..

Perhaps an example from our split...

The Pacemaker repo includes the _entire_ Heartbeat history up until the
split.
This allows me to build versions of the crm from before the split
(handy if you're doing "hg bisect" to track down which changeset broke
something).

Oh yeah ,, that's the same thing I think I suggested.

Actually its the opposite :-)

does it show that much that I have a flu and fever?

Maybe I didn't express
myself properly but I want the full history for the sub project but not of
unrelated stuff.

So dlm.git will have the full dlm history up to HEAD/master. but it will not
have cman history inside.

Thats basically what I did for the GUI.
Which is fine, it just means you wont be able to build pre-split
versions of the dlm from within dlm.git

So it's ok, we don't want to build old version dlm from dlm.git before the split. That can be and should be done from cluster.git as single reference point.