[Cluster-devel] waiting in init.d/cman

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 16:05:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:32:04PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 13:20 -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:25:53PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> > > I can see the possibility to block the boot for quorum when quorum might
> > > never be available. As above, I don't mind to add that to the init
> > > script, but it will need yet another timeout.
> >
> > Sure, but as I mentioned, if cman doesn't wait for quorum, then clvmd,
> > rgmanager or gfs mount will... and those don't time out and sometimes
> > can't be cancelled, whereas cman_tool wait -q can be.
>
> During the boot process you can't issue ctrl+c no matter what. IIRC somebody
> suggested to use boot options. Perhaps forcing a wait for quorum in our init
> script is sensible if we allow a boot option to not run cman at all. The
> other daemons will fail if cman is not there and boot would be "unblocked".

During 'service cman start' you could cancel via ctrl+c if it's blocked on
quorum, but during 'service gfs start' you may not be able to cancel if it's
blocked on quorum.

During boot init.d/cman you can cancel via timeout if it's blocked on quorum,
but during boot init.d/gfs you may not be able to cancel via timeout if it's
blocked on quorum.

So, I think we end up with the best option being our current approach: do all
waiting with timeouts in cman.  This gives us the best options for boot start
and manual start.

Dave