[Cluster-devel] waiting in init.d/cman

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 19:32:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 13:20 -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:25:53PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> > I can see the possibility to block the boot for quorum when quorum might
> > never be available. As above, I don't mind to add that to the init
> > script, but it will need yet another timeout.
>
> Sure, but as I mentioned, if cman doesn't wait for quorum, then clvmd,
> rgmanager or gfs mount will... and those don't time out and sometimes can't be
> cancelled, whereas cman_tool wait -q can be.

During the boot process you can't issue ctrl+c no matter what. IIRC
somebody suggested to use boot options. Perhaps forcing a wait for
quorum in our init script is sensible if we allow a boot option to not
run cman at all. The other daemons will fail if cman is not there and
boot would be "unblocked".

> The no wait option is good, it could make sense in some cases, like when no
> other init scripts follow cman that depend on quorum.

It's a rare case since our init script itself fires up different daemons
automatically. A bit offtopic but perhaps it might be the case to revive
the idea that mount.gfs2 should spawn gfs_controld if required and not
running and libdlm would spawn dlm_controld.

Fabio