Re: [Cluster-devel] unfencing

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 07:52:55PM +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> > A node unfences *itself* when it boots up.  As such, power-unfencing doesn't
> > make sense; unfencing is only meant to reverse storage fencing.
>
> What can stop a user to run fence_node -U from another node to do remote
> (un)fencing?

It would work.  Users can do anything they like, that's beside the point.

The point is to make storage fencing more practical by automating storage
unfencing.  Otherwise, users have to invent ad hoc methods of doing it
themselves, often manually.  And, we end up solving the problem in painful,
one-off cases like scsi_reserve/fence_scsi, which cry out for a better
approach.

> How do we address the problem of nodes booting from that same shared
> storage?

Use power fencing (that's not the problem I'm trying to solve.)

Dave