[Cluster-devel] fencing conditions: what should trigger a fencing operation?

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 17:40:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 08:26:57AM +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> We can?t take decision for OOPSes that are not generated within our
> code. The user will have to configure that via panic_on_oops or other
> means. Maybe our task is to make sure users are aware of this
> situation/option (i didn?t check if it is documented).

Yeah, in past we've told (and documented) people to set panic_on_oops=1 if
it's not already set that way (see the gfs_mount man page I gave a link to
for one example).

As I said, in some releases, like RHEL4 and RHEL5, panic_on_oops is 1 by
default, so everyone tends to forget about it.  But I think upstream
kernels currently default to 0, so this will bite people using upstream
kernels who don't happen to read our documentation about setting the
systctl.

Dave