[Cluster-devel] GFS2: Use kmalloc when possible for ->readdir() (try #2)

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Thu Jul 29 17:58:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:13:27AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:56:23 +0100 Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com> wrote:
> > +static void gfs2_free_sort_buffer(void *ptr)
> > +{
> > +	if (is_vmalloc_addr(ptr))
> > +		vfree(ptr);
> > +	else
> > +		kfree(ptr);
> > +}
>
> This got kicked around a bit in May (Subject: mm: generic adaptive
> large memory allocation APIs).  That patch tried kmalloc(), then
> alloc_pages(), then vmalloc().  Nothing got merged though.
>
> I wasn't terribly excited about it because of vague fears that it would
> just incite people to spend even less effort thinking about how large
> their individual allocations are.

	I think these sort of things belong closer to the using code.
Like gfs2's declaration that "this is how we do our sort buffers," it is
a decision best left to the caller.

Joel

--

"If you are ever in doubt as to whether or not to kiss a pretty girl,
 give her the benefit of the doubt"

Joel Becker
Consulting Software Developer
Oracle