[Cluster-devel] ATTENTION packagers and developers! (moving from 3.0.x to 3.1)

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 14:33:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

To explain a bit more about what is happening on the GFS2 side of
things, this is our current plan:

 o gfs2-utils becomes its own package (with essentially identical
contents)
 o gfs2-cluster is a binary subpackage of gfs2-utils which will contain
the gfs2 related parts of the old cman package
 o The old cman pakage retains its original contents, minus what is now
in gfs2-cluster

So what is new in gfs2-cluster? Only gfs_controld and its associated man
pages, a new initscript and a gfs_control binary. The gfs2-cluster
package depends upon cman in order to ensure that dlm_controld etc are
also available.

As a result of being able to build the packages from the gfs2-utils git
tree (rather than the cluster tree which is currently used) that will
result in the tunegfs2 utility being added to gfs2-utils package at long
last.

The reason for wanting to make the split from the GFS2 side of things is
to allow independent (and more frequent) builds of gfs2-utils and thus
to keep the packages much more uptodate with respect to the head of the
tree,

Steve.