Re: [Cluster-devel] gfs2-utils: master - GFS2: Add script to create release tarball

On 10/11/2010 10:44 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 07:04 +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> did you try to use "make dist" directly from the build tree?
>>
> No, and tbh I don't really want to rely on that. My little script is
> simple and does the job just fine.

There are a few steps in there that your script will miss.

In order to run "make dist" you need to ./autogen.sh and ./configure.

Those first 2 steps will make sure that the final tarball will get a
working copy of ./configure from your system and guaranteed to be
portable. Something you will leave up to the end user to do. Different
versions of autotools/automake/autoconf can generate a different
./configure. Even a missing m4 macro could cause you headache across
distributions.

Leave alone the plans you might have to drop autotools, in the meantime
you should get advantages out of it.

make dist-check, make dist will provide you with tests over the tree and
with a properly versioned tarball.

I also suggest you look at coreutils.git Makefile.am and configure.ac to
extend configure.ac to automatically get the version from git rather
than hard encoding it in configure.ac itself (I was hinted to it today,
so I didnĀ“t have time to look at it properly nor implement it anywhere).
The basic concept is that given an annoted tag, the make dist can create
the correct tarball (versioning and alike), including the possibility to
have version (eg.) 1.0.N-sha1 from HEAD of the tree.
Where N is the commit number after 1.0 tag and sha1 the short version of
the sha related to that release/tarball.