Re: [Cluster-devel] mount.gfs2 obsolete upstream (scheduled to be removed)

On 08/10/2011 02:16 PM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a reminder that when Fedora 14 is no longer being updated, we
> intend to remove mount.gfs2 from the upstream gfs2-utils source. There
> should be no user visible changes beyond the removal of the utility when
> this happens as kernels and gfs2_controld have been able to use the new
> system for mounting for some time.
>
> So this is just a heads up so that it isn't too much of a surprise when
> it happens in a few months time.
>
> Also scheduled for removal are gfs2_quota and gfs2_tool. Both of these
> will be removed shortly after Fedora 17 is released. They are both
> considered obsolete and alternatives have been available for some time.
> In the case of gfs2_quota, that means the generic quota package that is
> supplied with Fedora. In the case of gfs2_tool, that means tunegfs2 or
> mount options, depending on which feature is required.
>
> If there are any questions, please let us know,
>
> Steve.

It might be a good idea to lay down a map of upstream versions required
to drop mount.gfs2 and quota.

New gfs2-utils without mount.gfs2 requires kernel > x.y.z and
gfs_controld > a.b.c. (we ship gfs_controld from gfs2-utils, but people
might still have old versions around... just in case)

similar for quota support.. is a new quota-tools version required?
kernel? etc.

Mapping to fedora releases is only helpful to fedora users :) but it
leaves other distros in the dark. Specially if some features are working
in fedora only by meaning of local patches.

Cheers