Re: [Cluster-devel] Question about /etc/init.d/cman start

On 08/29/2011 08:02 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the current startup script simply exit if there is no quorum, so fenced and dlm_controld are not started. Even cmannotifyd is not started, so you can't react to quorum changes with cmannotifyd.

It is actually configurable via /etc/sysconfig/cman (or
/etc/defaults/cman on debian based systems)

# CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT -- amount of time to wait for a quorate cluster on
#     startup quorum is needed by many other applications, so we may as
#     well wait here.  If CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT is zero, quorum will
#     be ignored.
[ -z "$CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT" ] && CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=45

Setting CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=0 will simply stop waiting for quorum and
continue the execution of the init script.

Assuming you want to retain the default behavior, once quorum is gained,
it is enough to execute /etc/init.d/cman start again. The script is
clever enough to start only what is necessary.

You have a good point regarding cmannotifyd. In theory it could be used
to trigger a "/etc/init.d/cman start" once quorum is achieved and
notification dispatched. I can fix this upstream, but for any RHEL6
changes, I'll need you to go via support channels.