Re: [Cluster-devel] Question about /etc/init.d/cman start

On 08/29/2011 09:55 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> They are smart enough. You are misreading the comments about wait for
>> quorum in cman init.
>
> Ah, OK.
>
>> The daemons can be safely started at boot time, even without quorum, but they
>> can't do anything useful till quorum is achieved. That is why it is possible to
>> override the wait for quorum.
>>
>> Most users have requested and wants to wait for quorum and fail if there is no
>> quorum since it really doesn't help to have more daemons running on top cman.
>
> And they manually log into each node and exec 'cman start' after they have quorum?

Yes, generally the fact that quorum is not achieved with N seconds is an
indication of something wrong in the cluster or the hw (for instance
network issues). Users prefer to see an error at that point, rather than
keep executing more daemons that will just make things more confusing on
why it's not working at higher levels (rgmanager or gfs) when the issue
is at the bottom layers.

>> So maybe what you want is an option to:
>>
>> wait for quorum, if there is no quorum after timeout, still allow everything else
>> to start?
>
> Yes, I think that is what I want.

Ok, I'll take a look at it once I have some time.