[Cluster-devel] clvm, snapshots and live migration

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Sun Nov 27 08:44:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

24.11.2011 13:42, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We use clvm and store VM images on shared storage, and our backup tool uses LVM snapshots,
> which seems to require that we exclusively lock the LVs.
>
> But live migration requires that we activate the LVs on two nodes, so this conflicts with exclusive locks.
>
> So is there a way to convert the exclusive lock into a local lock. I get an error when try that.
>
> For example:
>
> First acquire an exclusive lock:
> # lvchange -aey vmdisks/vm-102-disk-1
>
> I now want to change that into an local lock:
>
> # lvchange -aly vmdisks/vm-102-disk-1
>   Error locking on node proxmox-7-60: Device or resource busy
>
> Is there a way to do that? What is the reasoning behind not allowing that?

Not actually an answer.
After migration you'd need to convert lock opposite way.
One problem I see here is that if we upgrade local lock to exclusive,
then we need either to force other nodes to drop their local lock unless
LV is used or just fail.

Probably lvm list is a better place for such discussions?

Vladislav