[Container-tools] Introducing micro-webapps

Jan Kaluža jkaluza at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 13:08:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

some time ago I've started working on a project called micro-webapps
[1]. In this short email, I want to introduce it to you, because it's
based on Nulecule and Atomic App and I think people here might be
interested in it.

The goal of the micro-webapps project is to allow simple creation of
modular web applications and their deployment in the cloud (multi
container) environment.

Admin is able to choose the frontend which will serve the web
applications (currently httpd, nginx or HAProxy) and then deploy the web
applications as separate containers. For each web application, admin is
able to configure the URI on which the web application will be served,
the SSL certificate and so on.

It is therefore possible to setup web-server with, for example,
following structure:

     http://domain.tld/ running static content.
     http://domain.tld/blog running wordpress in separate container.
     http://bugs.domain.tld running Bugzilla in separate container.
     http://another-domain.tld running completely different web app.

The frontend is reconfigured automatically when new web application is
deployed or removed. So after "atomicapp run my/webapp", the web
application is served on a domain and path specified as Nulecule param
automatically.

Micro-webapps supports HTTP load-balancing (including the session
persistence) naturally on top of Kubernetes/Openshift replication
controllers and again, the frontend is reconfigured automatically when
the admin changes the number of replicas for the web application.

Micro-webapps uses web-server independent configuration specification
called webconf-spec [2] which is shipped together with the web
application, so the developer ships the web application only once and it
can work with all the web-servers implementing the specification.

It is quite easy to add support for micro-webapps into the existing
Nulecule file [3].

Note that although I work on this project for some time, I've released
the first version just today, so I would be glad if people could test it
and say what they think about it here or just talk to me on IRC in
#nulecule channel.

[1] https://github.com/micro-webapps/micro-webapps
[2] https://github.com/micro-webapps/webconf-spec
[3]