[Crash-utility] CA SEOS module causes heartburn for crash(1)

Kurtis D. Rader kdrader at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 26 15:43:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 10:32:11, Dave Anderson wrote:
> I'm deferring this to the IBM guys who deal with s390, SUSE kernels, and
> whatever dumpfile format this is (LKCD or s390 native?).

Actually I'm pretty confident this is not specific to s390 or SLES. I've
seen the same thing with a dump form a x86 system which had CA SEOS
loaded. It's just that in that case crash is able to create the necessary
memory region because the delta between the addresses is less than 1 GiB
(due, of course to the much smaller size of zone one). So it is still
potentially an issue for x86.

> But I'm curious -- where in the crash utliity is an mmap being done?

>From store_module_symbols_v1() -> GETBUF(strbuflen). Where strbuflen is
calculated as the last module name address minus the first observed
module address plus BUFSIZE. Is this guaranteed to be correct? The code
appears to be assuming the module symbol table is ordered by the address of
the symbol names. Is that guaranteed?

--
Kurtis D. Rader, Level 3 Linux Support
ABC Service Center, Linux Change Team