[Crash-utility] crash can not read ia64 lkcd v9 dump

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 15:56:23 UTC 2006

Bernhard Walle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> * Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> [2006-11-08 22:26]:
> > Olaf Hering wrote:

> > > Thats all we have right now. And sadly, I have been told that gcc will
> > > generate different asm depending on what host the kernel is compiled
> > > (memory config etc.). So getting the exact vmlinux again may be a
> > > challenge with gcc3.2.
> >
> > Well, that's always been the case, and that's OK.  In that case,
> > all you have to do is compile the identical kernel source code
> > with -g, but also pass the System.map file of the "real" dumped
> > vmlinux on the command line, as in:
> >
> >  # crash vmlinux-rebuilt-with-g System.map-of-dumped-vmlinux dumpfile
> >
> > That's the sole purpose of the System.map argument, which should
> > *only* be used in such a case.
>
> I get this output here:
>
>      # crash ./vmlinux-2.6.5-7.282-debug map.4 dump.4
>
>     crash 4.0-53.1
>     Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006  Red Hat, Inc.
>     Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006  IBM Corporation
>     Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
>     Copyright (C) 2005  Fujitsu Limited
>     Copyright (C) 2005  NEC Corporation
>     Copyright (C) 1999, 2002  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>     Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
>     This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
>     and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
>     certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
>     This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for details.
>
>     crash: map.4: not a supported file format
>
>     Usage:
>       crash [-h [opt]][-v][-s][-i file][-d num] [-S] [mapfile] [namelist] [dumpfile]
>
>     Enter "crash -h" for details.
>
> ./vmlinux-2.6.5-7.282-debug is a uncompressed kernel image without
> debug information (IA 64), map.4 is a normal System.map file and
> dump.4 is the LKCD dump file.

"vmlinux-2.6.5-7.282-debug" must have debug information right?  Crash
will not work without at least one debug-full vmlinux file on the command
line, and since it works without the map.4, it must be debug-full.

> Without the map.4 argument, crash doesn't complain about the file
> formats.

...but the virtual addresses probably don't line up completely?

> Any hints? Thanks!

Yes, the "map.4" file did not return successfully from the
is_system_map() function in symbols.c.  That function sanity-checks
the first 100 entries in the file to verify that there are 3 entries
in each line, that the the first entry contains a 64-bit hexadecimal
address, and that the second field contains a single character.

For example, this is an example of a 2.4 ia64 kernel
System.map file:

#  head /boot/System.map
0000000004407f20 A phys_start
e000000000000000 A v