[Crash-utility] kdump format may be updated

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 14:02:38 UTC 2006

Magnus Damm wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 09:45 -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > Magnus Damm wrote:
> > > The idea is that the crash_notes contents in the Xen hypervisor
> > space
> > > contains registers indexed by physical cpu number.
> > >
> > > It is possible to locate the crashing physical cpu by looking up a
> > > global variable in hypervisor symbol, and from there it should be
> > > possible to backtrack and find the domain pseudo-phys to virt
> > mapping
> > > table. I say "should" because it is probably pretty hairy.
> > >

> > Actually, given that the crash utility is only interested in the
> > specifics of the dom0 kernel, it has no interest in physical
> > cpus.  If you're specifically interested in debugging a crash
> > that occurred while operating in the xen binary, you're going
> > to want to use gdb on the vmcore file with xen-syms-xxx
> > namelist file.  You can still run crash on the same vmcore to
> > find out what was going on in the dom0 kernel, but there's
> > no awareness of the xen hypervisor underpinnings; you'll
> > just get the state of the dom0 kernel at the time of the crash.
>
> Exactly. But for gdb to work we need to provide crash notes to the xen
> vmcore file - and with physical cpu crash notes in this case. I just
> hacked up some code to do this and it seems like the default number of
> cpus in xen-unstable is set to 32. That's 32 crash notes.

That's fine -- the crash utility will ignore the registers in the
NT_PRSTATUS notes if it can determine that the vmcore is
a hypervisor/dom0/kdump-type dumpfile.  In my prototype, it
does just that when it sees the unique NT_XEN_DOM0_CR3 note.
(crash doesn't really need the NR_PRSTATUS register contents,
because it can find them elsewhere if need be.)

> > But I would guess-timate that the majority of the crashes are
> > going to have occurred in the dom0 kernel, and not while
> > running in the hypervisor.
>
> Yeah, given the number of lines of code...
>
> > Now, given that that the crash_notes context contains registers
> > that are indexed by the physical cpu number, well, that's not
> > helpful to crash's needs with respect to dom0.  That's why you
> > guys must have created the additional NT_XEN_DOM0_CR3
> > ELF note.
>
> I'm note sure exactly why we created it - I thought it was because you
> wanted it - but I'm pretty sure Moriwaka-sans tool can locate things
> without it.

That's exactly right -- I requested dom0's cr3 or pfn_to_mfn_list_list
value, and Moriwaka-san provided me with a prototype vmcore that
contained the NT_XEN_DOM0_CR3 ELF note.

I presume that the i386 vmcore he sent me was also usable with
gdb and xen-syms.  Here's what the header looks like:

$ readelf -a vmcore
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF32